Delegation is a vital tool for Leaders and Managers both to get the work done and to develop others. Here’s a set of questions that might support coaching a manger on the topic of effective delegation
- What’s your track record with delegation so far? Worked well? Not so well?
- What could your people gain by taking on more responsibility and becoming more accountable?
- What would the effect on the business be?
- What are the most important considerations for effective delegation to other team members?
- How will you know what to delegate, when, and to whom?
- What will you be feeling or thinking having delegated work to others?
- If you were able to delegate really well, what would that then enable you to do?
Application – Areas for discussion and action planning so you have a ‘model of excellence’ for delegating responsibility to others.
- What are the purposes of delegation?
- How would you assess the state of readiness of the employee?
- What are the implications of delegation?
- What permission do you need from your boss?
- What will be the boundaries of your delegated authority?
- How will you go about assigning the new responsibilities?
- How will you know you’re successful?